Tuesday, 22 July 2008

Simple CFFI - Qt4 integration attempt

Update: Paul has sent me his code. He calls it "EQL" for ECL and Qt. Or something like that anyway! I have put it up here.

The author of the Simple CFFI - Qt4 integration attempt has contacted me to let me know that a modification of the above linked software is in commercial use. I have prodded him to release his modified version. He says he'll do it Real Soon Now (TM).

I don't know if he is reading this blog but maybe a little pressure will help. Just kidding!

What I like most about his method is the use of the introspection capabilities of Qt. Compared to the duct tape and glue I used, his is a lot more elegant. Currently, you cannot extend Qt in Lisp (via inheritance) but all the other goodies are still there. Indeed he tells me that for his application, he extended Qt from within C++ and used these extensions from his Lisp.

I look forward to the update and to using the library.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you see this article:
http://briancarper.net/2008/10/31/qt4-in-lisp/

Seems interesting, and it's available *now* (full access to Qt4).

Sohail Somani said...

I did not, thank you for the link.

Actually, for the last 3 weeks or so I've been playing with Clojure and I must say it is quite nice. Looks like Brian has beat me to the punch but I was intending to do a similar investigation with Qt Jambi.

I think we have a winner, to be honest.

Just for kicks, here is a SWT example that I wrote up the other day: http://paste.lisp.org/display/69556